Working out with a friend can help you stay committed and motivated. Whether you are a regular gym-goer or just getting started, working out with a friend could be a big help.
Not convinced? Here are two reasons why having a training partner is a good idea:
You’re more motivated
You are far more likely to work out when you have scheduled it ahead of time and, especially, when cancelling means inconveniencing your friend. It’s no surprise that it’s much easier to skip the gym when the only person you are letting down is yourself.
In addition to keeping you accountable, your partner can provide a boost of motivation to do one more set when you feel like giving up.
You’re likely to enjoy a better workout
The friendly competition that comes with working out with a friend can push you to take your workout to the next level. Additionally, having a partner at the gym ensures that you always have a spotter, enabling you to safely lift heavier with less risk of injury.
Choosing your workout partner
Here are a couple of considerations when choosing your workout partner:
- Your workout partner doesn’t have to be your best friend but it should be someone you like, enjoy spending time with and don’t want to disappoint
- Make sure that you choose someone who has similar goals in mind and is willing to commit to the same level of training as you
Fitness partner tips
- Be on time
- Motivate your partner to reach their set goals
- Suggest new ideas and routines to keep things interesting
- Always be encouraging and uplifting
- Look out for poor form, as this can result in injury
Most importantly, remember to enjoy your fitness journey and be sure to celebrate each goal achieved, no matter how small.