Not feeling it this winter? Then it’s time to break up the monotony.
Doing the same old cardio workout can not only leave you bored and unmotivated but the combination of routine and less enjoyment during aerobic exercise can lead to a lack of results and fewer kilojoules burned.
Try mixing things up to avoid a cardio rut. By keeping things fresh, you can improve workout enjoyment while engaging a new set of muscles. You certainly don’t want to avoid cardio altogether.
We know cardio is important and regular aerobic physical activity comes with some pretty impressive benefits:
- Supporting healthy weight loss
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Boosting your mood
- Keeping you active as you age
- Supporting immune health
- Improving quality of sleep
- Increasing your overall energy levels
While there are many benefits, it shouldn’t mean you have to suffer for hours doing an activity you don’t like. There are a number of cardio machine alternatives that can add some variety to your routine while still helping you burn the same amount of kilojoules as 30 minutes of running on the treadmill. These include:
60 minutes of…
- Circuit training – a style of weight training that incorporates aerobic activity
- Taking a dance class
- Playing sports such as soccer or netball
45 minutes of…
- Swimming laps
- Playing tennis
30 minutes of…
- High-intensity interval training
- Jumping rope
- Spin class or bicycling outdoors
These are just a few ideas to help you get off the cardio rut. The key is finding ways to achieve your goals that challenge yet while making aerobic exercise a lot more fun.