Whether cleansing with an Isagenix Program is already second nature to you or you’re starting your first cleanse, there’s a few tips – seven in all – to remember for success:
1. Follow a schedule. During a Cleanse Day, temptations to slip-up can be overwhelming. Whether it’s your co-workers convincing you to go to the Chinese buffet for lunch or a quick takeaway calling your name on the way home, it can be easy to stray from your Cleanse Day commitment.
The best way to avoid these temptations is to set a schedule. It should outline your plan for the entire day including when to drink Cleanse for Life™, take Natural Accelerator™, and enjoy Isagenix Snacks™ or an IsaDelight Plus™. You can also schedule in time throughout the day to drink water and when you plan to go to bed since they are both important parts of cleansing. (More on this below.) The best part is that you can tailor the plan to your personal lifestyle; just remember the recommendation to drink two scoops of Cleanse for Life with water four times during Cleanse Days.
2. Personalise your routine. If you enjoy having your Cleanse for Life drink warm (like a tea) in the morning, but want to add ice to make a slushy in the afternoon, go for it. Maybe you feel most satisfied by having two Isagenix Snacks with your Cleanse for Life or saving an IsaDelight to curb an afternoon craving. Personalisation is key and by taking control over your Cleanse Day, you’ll be more likely to stick with the plan.
3. Get sleep. Because you are consuming fewer kilojoules on a Cleanse Day, it’s possible to feel tired come late afternoon. Your body may not be able to perform at the same level as Shake Days, so take it easy if you need to and maybe head to bed early.
Sleep is not only a time for your body to rest, but also a time to rebuild and restore. In fact, not getting enough quality sleep can actually cause your fat cells to become ‘too tired’ and become less efficient at using energy. This can lead to a whole host of health complications including obesity. Instead, give your body the rest it needs to truly benefit from cleansing and get some shut-eye.
4. Use your tools. You don’t have to feel deprived on a Cleanse Day. Isagenix has a plethora of tools including Isagenix Snacks, IsaDelights, e+ Healthy Energy Shot and Ionix® Supreme – all of which can give you the extra boost you need to make it through the day.
If you find yourself hitting a wall in the middle of a Cleanse Day, e+ may be the answer. With naturally sourced caffeine from green tea and yerba mate, e+ provides the safe and healthy energy boost you need. It has been tested in a pilot trial showing that it supports weight loss when included in an Isagenix Program.
5. Drink water throughout the day. Our thirst mechanisms are very tricky. Sometimes we can feel hungry when we’re actually thirsty. In fact, studies have shown that drinking water instead of reaching for food when a craving comes along can actually help with weight loss. Keeping the body hydrated also helps it function optimally, especially when it comes to flushing out impurities. Shoot for 8 to 10 glasses of water not only on Cleanse Days, but every day.
6. Engage in light exercise. Although high-intensity exercise is not recommended on Cleanse Days (see Myth: Cleanse Days and Exercise Are a ‘No Go’), engaging in light physical activity such as walking or yoga may have some fat burning benefits. These low-intensity forms of exercise are less likely to induce high amounts of stress on the body and can increase kilojoule expenditure.
Additionally, these activities can act as distractions from eating and can even provide motivation to stick with your Cleanse Day schedule. Just remember to listen to your body and keep activity light.
7. Have an IsaLean shake for your first meal after a Cleanse Day. After giving your body time to rest and detoxify, it craves balanced nutrition, especially the high-quality protein found in IsaLean™ Shakes and IsaLean™ PRO. Together, Cleanse Days and Shakes Days help fuel fat loss while maintaining muscle mass – a sure-fire way to not only lose weight, but to also maintain weight loss.
The most important thing to remember is that there are many ways to be successful on Cleanse Days – it just takes finding the ways and habits that work for you. Take ownership of your Cleanse Day, personalise it to your needs and body, and the motivation and commitment will come effortlessly. Before you know it, weight loss goals will be all but a memory, and you’ll be happily maintaining your weight and health.
Dennis et al. Water consumption increases weight loss during hypocaloric diet intervention in middle-aged and older adults. Obesity. 2010; 18(2):300-307. doi 10.1038/oby.2009.235